Program management can be considered a combination of an art and a science. While planning and monitoring is scientific and uses a number of structured tools, working with the people actually implementing the program or project, and ensuring that they understand, support and align to the plan requires soft skills and is very dependent on the team management skills of the program manager.
Effective program management skills must be deployed from the beginning of a strategic planning exercise if the execution phase is to be completed successfully via a change journey. My services, using MS-Project, are outlined below.
Program Design: Develop a vision, organization, management processes; work with investment managers and points-of-contact to identify pressures affecting development plans and budget utilization
Change Management: Work with functional/business leads to drive understanding, awareness and appreciation of the program among executives. Socialize and implement changes to planning and staffing processes to include program elements; ensure that teams actively adopt initiatives, develop and maintain metrics regarding progress towards program goals.
Stakeholder management: Ensure senior local and global stakeholders are kept current and apprised of risks through issue of regular and detailed reports; design management processes for use at team and overall level (demand forecasting, budget development and utilization monitoring; governance approach; staffing principles); ensure alignment to global timelines and processes; work through budgeting and staffing processes with global leadership.
Solutions development – Coordinate cross-team/cross-location sharing of opportunities and resources to ensure targets were met; ensure quality and service levels are understood and adhered to; refresh tracking tools and approaches to stay current with growth of function.
Rules/processes for use by affected functions/businesses, using feedback from point-of-contacts and global teams; incorporate these requirements in staffing SOPs.
Coordination of multiple projects ensuring that resources are optimally used and milestones achieved on time and in full.
Clear responsibilities and accountability of teams for achievement of goals.
Visibility into problems and issues before they become critical and disruptive – a great advantage when a number of the projects/initiatives will be focused on driving change.
Transparency and easy communication of workflows, dependencies and progress.
(The following is a non-exhaustive list of engagements provided as a sample. We do not reveal client names.)
Program Lead – Market Development Innovations Program: Built multi-functional program of 600+ consultants developing advanced management assets that supported 16 industries and functional areas for global management consulting firm. Grew the program from <$5M to $20M in payroll value across 9 quarters.
Established program for development of advanced management thought, assets and tools through 600+ management consultants in India, China, Argentina, Poland and Spain. Scope extended across 16+ Functional and Industry investment areas. Generated multi-stakeholder support to provide budget of $20M+. Networked into company-wide eco-system through global communities and budget support functions
- Program Design: Developed vision, virtual organization, management processes from scratch; worked pro-actively with investment managers and points-of-contact to identify trends affecting development plans and budget utilization
- Change Management: Worked with team leads to drive understanding, awareness and appreciation of the program among executives. Socialized and implemented changes to planning and staffing processes by each team to include a program element; ensured that teams actively undertook such initiatives, developed and maintained metrics regarding progress wrt program goals.
- Stakeholder management: Ensured senior local and global stakeholders were kept current and apprised of risks through issue of regular and detailed reports; designed management processes for use at team and overall level (demand forecasting, budget development and utilization monitoring; governance approach; staffing principles); ensured alignment to global timelines and processes; worked through budgeting and staffing processes with global leadership.
- Solutioning approaches and staffing mixes – Coordinated cross-team/cross-location sharing of opportunities and resources to ensure targets were met; ensured quality and service levels were understood and adhered to; refreshed tracking tools and approaches to stay current with growth of function.
- Framed program-specific rules/processes for use by staffing function using feedback from SPOCs and global R&D team; incorporated these requirements in staffing SOPs